This recipe looks and tastes divine! It is easy to make, nutritious, and should please the whole family. You may even want to double the batch! For the best texture, be sure to use full fat coconut milk. The fat and alcohol in the extracts help keep the ice cream smooth and ice crystal free.
1 -13.7 oz / 400 mL can full fat coconut milk
1 bunch Fresh mint, washed, stems omitted (about 1 cup, packed)
1/3 cup Smooth almond butter
2 Tbsp Peppermint extract
1 Tbsp Vanilla extract
2 Tbsp Sugar**
¼ tsp Salt – if nut butter is salted you may wish to omit
3.5 oz Semisweet vegan mini chocolate chips
Note: An ice cream maker is not required. If you have an ice cream maker, follow its instructions, they may be different.
- Freeze a deep metal bowl or an ice cream maker bowl overnight.
- Put everything (except for the chocolate chips!) in a blender and make a slurry. Ensure everything is smooth and evenly blended and no big mint leaves remain.
- Pour into a freezer safe container – metal is great as it holds the cold – and stir in the mini chocolate chips. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Chill the mixture in the freezer. You want it to be nearly as cold as the other chilled bowl, or it will stick like mad when you pour it in!
- Put the empty chilled bowl into the ice cream maker, add the chilled mixture, and cream it. If you don’t have an ice cream maker, just stir, and return to freezer repeatedly until it firms up.
** We used sugar since the quantity was small and our vegan chocolate chips already used cane sugar, but making it sugar free or keto friendly is easy. Simply use about 2 tsp/2 packets of stevia and choose stevia-sweetened chocolate chips.